Monday 8 December 2008

Things I have found in the books of my sone aged 2 1/2

Books are an integral part of Theo's (Theodoric's) life. He has been in to them for a long while and over this time I have noticed that there are some good books out there. I am not dismissing the power of Thomas the Tank Engine and the other staples of young people today, but I find them boring. If I find a book boring I am likely to find a way of avoiding reading it to my son. Thus he has a more varied and interesting collection of books than many children his age. I say all this by way of explanation of the list that follows. All of the following appear in books that are no innapropriate to a child his age, but are somewhat more exlectic a set than might be the norm.

What my son read about:

1) Election rigging, Vote for Duck by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin

2) Dynamite, The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas and Helen Oxenbury

3) Industrial Action, Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin

4) Biassed referees cheatin in international rugby matches, Misadventures of Dougal by Eric Thompson and David Barnett

5) Meteorology balloons, The Iceberg (The Sagas of Noggin the Nog) by Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin

6) Untrustworthy used car salesman, Bear Buys a Car: A 3-dimensional Reading Book (Hardcover)

There are a fair few others, but these are the ones I can call to mind right now. I may publish more later...

Rufus Evison

No comments: